Most of the time, not eating gluten is so NOT a problem. People often tell me that they don't think they would be able to eat gluten free, or that my life must "suck" because I can't eat those products, but let me tell you how it really is.
When I eat something with gluten, the pain isn't immediate; nope, it waits a few hours and then I have intestinal pain for several days, and nothing else I eat gets absorbed. If I am experiencing malnutrition, I am more likely to be fatigued and grumpy, and no one likes that. When we go out to dinner and they put the bread basket on the table, there is no temptation for me to eat it because I like feeling good, and eating the bread will NOT make me feel good. So many restaurants have at least a few gluten-free options now, and they are quite tasty! I now don't do much think of it as that I can't eat something, it's that I don't want to. I still have that choice.
Here's the flipside: being a Mormon and having Celiac disease. So many functions include baked goods that I will not eat. Today, there was a break-the-fast that was entirely pasta, which I don't eat. I know that no one has anything against me (most of them don't even know), but sometimes it's hard not to feel left out at these types of things. I know I am being ridiculous right now, but that's just how it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment