Wednesday, September 1, 2010

E-mails

I buy stuff from the internet. You know, tickets, jewelry, etc. Doing this however, has put me on everyone's e-mail list, and despite repeated attempts to remove my name, I keep getting these emails! I get e-mails from Ticketmaster telling me about tickets on sale and specials for the week. They also send me presale offers, which rarely come in handy, since I have no interest in seeing say, Cap'n Joe & the Shrimp Shack Shooters on Sunday, May 15, 2011.

The SF Symphony sends me e-mails to spouting the virtues of their upcoming performances, and, more frequently, asking for a donation. The obnoxiousness of these e-mails is topped only by the weekly phone calls, which for some reason, always occur on Sundays.

Some bulk e-mails are okay: I like to know that Disneyland has a new "Big Thunder Suite" at the Disneyland hotel, even if I could never afford to stay in it. I do not want to know, however, that Disney Movie Rewards "misses me." Uh...how can an inanimate program miss me? What they are really saying is, "Why aren't you buying more Disney movies?"

Bottom line is, while I understand marketing, I feel like I am spending an inordinate amount of time hitting the DELETE button on all these e-mails. Make it stop!

1 comment: