I've heard that back in the '50s, truckers were the "knights of the road." Now, I don't want to make any sweeping generalizations, because I am sure that there are a lot of truckers out there who are great, but there are a lot who aren't as well. It really irks me when I see some chain-smoking, texting-while-driving, beer-belly trucker who is driving his rig like it's a Geo Metro. I don't hold a class A license, but even I know that it's a recipe for disaster when these truckers are following 20 feet behind you in commute traffic with a Marlboro in their left hand and a CB in their right. Hello! You aren't driving a Smart car! You are driving a multi-ton tractor with a trailer attached! You have at least 16 wheels! Look - some of your tire tread is about to fly off, come through my windshield and maim me for life!
I'm just saying to pay more attention and think about what you are doing when you are behind the wheel. The same applies to drivers of all types of vehicles, but at least when the driver of the Geo Metro loses control or rear-ends me, it will be HIS car that gets jacked more than mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Would it be admitting too much of my inner geek to reveal that truckers were considered the last of the American cowboy and therefore kind of sensationalized? There is a weird trucker fascination that a great deal of America shares. Plus the truck stops usually have the best greasy spoon food and incredible milkshakes (I've eaten at some a time or two in my life). But I don't know if that will reveal how much of a history/sociological geek I am. So maybe I won't reveal it. It might be too much, to soon.
ReplyDelete